My idea of a perfect chocolate chip cookie is simple: soft and chewy in the middle with a crunchy-chewy but still soft outside holding the middle in with big boulder-esque chocolate chip chunks (preferably dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate) in every bite that can actually be seen on top of the cookie instead of just faintly underneath a layer of dough.
Perhaps I’ve been asking for too much over the years.
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with trying different kinds of flours and oils for my baking and cooking. I always knew coconut oil, peanut oil and sunflower oil existed but only recently found out wonderful things like avocado oil and almond oil existed. I was overjoyed to discover walnut oil (in Target, of course). As soon as I saw the bottle I almost shouted “EUREKA!” in the middle of the aisle. I immediately thought: cookies. Besides this I thought trying brown rice flour for this recipe would work well. I’m used to putting Greek yogurt or sour cream in my baked goods as I like that soft cakey texture to my cookies but I’ve been branching out from all-purpose flour to see if there’s anything else out there. Brown rice flour has become one of my new favorite things. It has a nice grainy texture but still makes baked goods incredibly soft. Not to mention it’s a bit healthier for a soul too.
When I first started making these cookies I was immediately concerned that the dough seemed almost too oily but as I kept mixing it all started to make sense again. I actually think the oil helps the cookie keep its shape and melt down into it’s flat circle form. The semi-sweet chocolate chips also help things along but the mini version of them also adds that extra chocolate factor and fills in the spaces where the regular chocolate chips might not have made it to. It’s the chocolate in every bite standard I like to go for.
If you’re allergic to walnuts this might not be the best oil for you but there are plenty of other oils I plan to try in the coming months. The oily world is your oyster.
ROASTED WALNUT OIL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Yields: 24 cookies
1 c all-purpose flour
2-1/4 c Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
1 c La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil
2 sticks butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 c Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 c Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
1. Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees.
2. Melt butter in microwave for 30 seconds or over stovetop. Pour into your main bowl.
3. Pour regular flour, brown rice flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda over butter and begin stirring until butter is fully mixed.
4. Add eggs, vanilla, regular semi-sweet chocolate chips and continue stirring until dough is thick.
5. Add walnut oil and stir well into batter. The dough will be slightly oily and that’s OK.
6. Add mini chocolate chips into batter and with a spoon press into the dough all around the batter.
7. On parchment paper lined pan, begin spooning dough out. The dough will be oily but it will help with the baking process.
8. Place cookies in oven for 11-12 minutes and allow to cool.